Shaughnessy lies in the heart of Vancouver and its borders include Arbutus Street to the west, Oak Street to the east, 41st Avenue to the south and 16th Avenue to the north. Shaughnessy neighbourhood is mainly residential with many heritage houses and also is home to the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens, BC Children’s and Women’s Hospital and the Shaughnessy Military Hospital heritage site.
The Shaughnessy neighbourhood was named after Thomas Shaughnessy, 1st Baron Shaughnessy, former president of the Canadian Pacific Railway. 50% of the homes were built before or during WWll. The neighbourhood was created in 1907 by CPR, then the largest real estate developer in Canada. The Shaughnessy Heights Golf Course was built in 1912, but in 1956 CPR wanted the valuable land for a real estate development. The land stretched eastward from Granville Street between 33rd and 37th Ave. The property offered outstanding views of the mountains and downtown Vancouver.