The community called Marpole, named after CPR General Superintendent Richard Marpole amalgamated with Vancouver in 1929. Marpole was once a large industrial area with sand and gravel companies, sawmills and shingle mills.
The area of Marpole runs south from Oakridge to the Fraser River and is linked to Vancouver and the Vancouver International Airport by three bridges and a light rapid transit line across the Fraser River. Marpole has some major commercial streets, shops along Granville Street and a mix of apartments and residential homes.
Archaeologists have found that Marpole was inhabited as long ago as 3500 BC and then the first non-natives came in the 1860’s. The first shopkeeper and postmaster was Harry Eburne, and Marpole was first named after him.