Delta is one of the sunniest and driest spots in the Lower Mainland. Delta is comprised of three distinct communities – Ladner, Tsawwassen and North Delta – these communities are rich in history and industry. The name Delta is derived from the fact that the community is located at the delta of the Fraser River. Located in the southwest corner of Metro Vancouver, Delta is bordered by the Fraser River to the north, the USA (Point Roberts, WA) to the south and the City of Surrey to the east. There are many parks and a bird sanctuary, take a stroll along Centennial beach, walk or bike along the many dyke systems and take in the scenic views of the North Shore mountains.
Delta’s flatlands and coastal shores were inhabited by the Tsawwassen indigenous peoples, of the Coast Salish First Nations prior to any European settlers. The first Europeans that sighted the land was in 1791, a Spanish explorer named Lieutenant Francisco de Eliza mistook the area for an island and called it “Isla Capeda”. James Kennedy was the first European settler in Delta and he pre-empted 135 acres in what is now known as Annieville in 1860. William and Thomas Ladner began farming the area in 1868. Farming and fishing helped the community to grow quickly over the next few decades and in 1879, the area was incorporated to become Delta, and the village of Ladner became the administrative centre. Delta was a relatively isolated community until the completion of the George Massey Tunnel in 1959 linking Ladner to Richmond and Vancouver, along with the opening of the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal in 1960 and in 1962 Hwy 99 was rerouted from the King George Highway in Surrey to a new route through Delta which ended Delta’s isolation and resulted in a massive 400% population growth over the next 20 years. The completion of the Alex Fraser Bridge connecting North Delta to New Westminster and Vancouver also helped Delta to grow.