Oakridge was one of the last neighbourhoods to develop in Vancouver and remained largely a forested area until the 1950’s. Before this, the area featured the Langara Golf Course built in the 1920’s and many larger institutional buildings.
Oakridge was mainly undeveloped except for the Langara Golf course built in 1926 and some institutional buildings like boarding schools and hospital built before WW ll. It wasn’t until the 1950’s that there was development started from the wooded land; the Jewish community moved south along Oak Street, and the Canadian Pacific Railway further opened up this area. There were many single-family homes built, and in 1959 the Oakridge Centre Shopping Mall was opened by Woodward’s Stores.
As the neighbourhood is relatively recent, it features no historical housing and has little in the way of heritage features. With times always changing, the area is further developing into higher density buildings along Cambie Street and at Oakridge Center.