Kerrisdale has at least two stories of naming… The first is that it was named by Mrs. William McKinnon – she called it Kerry’s Dale – after the name of her family home, Kerrydale, in Scotland. She was naming the British Columbia Electric Railway stop at Wilson Road (today West 41st Avenue).
The second (from the Vancouver archives) is that the first house in Kerrisdale is now numbered 2941 West 42nd Avenue, and was the home of Dr. J.M. Pearson. It stood on what is now West 42nd Avenue between Carnarvon and MacKenzie streets, was originally on a five-acre plot, and the house stood well back from the road. Kerrisdale gets its name from it.
Kerrisdale was part of the Municipality of Point Grey, which joined the City of Vancouver and the Municipality of South Vancouver – January 1, 1929. Many of the streets and avenues surrounding this railway stop developed around that time.