We want to get a good grasp of the problem so that we can provide the proper solution. Over the phone, we will ask a series of questions to learn about the type of roofing service you need, your timeline, budget, and address your immediate questions. We’ll want to find out what’s important to you so that we can make sure to deliver it.
We’ll want to dive deeper into understanding the roofing challenge and its root cause, as well as have the opportunity to identify any hazards, vulnerable areas, or risks that could impact the project. We come to your Lower Mainland property and get the lay of the land by performing a thorough Ground Inspection around your property (with you), as well as doing a Roof Inspection (not with you). Expect us to start taking photos, videos, and measurements!
We provide a comprehensive proposal for your roofing project with a detailed scope of work, variable options to consider, and timeline. We present this to you in-person, when we can, to ensure the process is clearly communicated and to answer any questions on the spot.
Our crew arrives on site, on time, and looking great! Before we even arrive, our production team would have prepared our crew with instructions on where to park, so we’re not in your way. Once there, our crew circles up around the On-Site Respect Plan — which is our documentation of the protocol to follow to ensure your property is treated with utmost respect. This includes outlining how we will protect the ground with tarps and plywood, where to place bins, and steps to keep everyone on-site safe.
We get up to the roof to work! Depending on if we’re doing roof repair, maintenance, a new roof, or replacement roof, the process will look different. We’ll start with setting up anchors, ropes and harnesses to ensure our crew’s safety, then the existing roof is removed or the initial waterproofing base layer is applied, followed by installation of membrane around the areas most vulnerable to leaking (vents, valleys, chimneys, and skylights). Then we’ll work on laying down the roofing material, whether it’s shingles, torch-on, metal or cedar shakes, as well as any finishing accessories.
Last, but definitely not least, we will never leave a site without cleaning up. And when we say we do everything to the highest standard, clean-up is no exception. All debris and garbage is removed, gutters cleaned, and scraps are picked up from surrounding ground and plants. We perform two sweeps of the property with a magnetic roller to pick up any loose metal or nails, then do one more walk around to be 100% confident that we’re leaving the site in excellent condition.
safety & protection protocols
how we care for people & property
We keep our Workers’ Compensation Board Coverage from WorkSafe BC up-to-date to ensure our crew is protected in case of injury.
We have $2,000,000 Liability Coverage to ensure your property and valuables are protected.
Protecting Your Property
We set up plywood and tarps to protect your property, railings, plants, etc. from damage.
Because Cooper Roofing has SELECT ShingleMaster™ Certification, which is the top level roofing credential from CertainTeed, we can offer you the highest level of extended warranty coverage (50 years) when we install a roof system on your property. This means that if there are any manufacturer defects, CertainTeed will cover 100% of the material, labour, tear off, and disposal costs associated with fixing the affected areas.
financing at 0% interest rate in 24 months
3.99% interest for 36 months
4.99% interest for 60 months
Credit Card, or 3-month deferral
What to expect when you’re expecting… a new roof
- There will be piles of garbage and debris around your home during the roofing process and they may be shockingly large, BUT do not fret, everything will be cleaned up daily and upon completion of the job.
- When an old roof is removed, there will be debris that enters the attic. We do our best to keep as much debris from falling inside as we can and remove what we’re able to. However, it’s impossible to keep 100% of debris from falling into the attic, especially with cedar shakes. We advise you cover or remove your contents in the attic before the roofing starts.
- We use high powered nailing guns to ensure all the shingles and plywood are fastened properly and flat head shovels to remove the old roofing. It will be LOUD for the duration of the project.
- There may be a chance that drywall or lath and plaster cracks during the roofing process. We rarely see this happen, BUT it is possible from the movement of the house. Unfortunately we are unable to perform any preventative actions.
- There will be a bin placed on your driveway for garbage and debris (if applicable). We will notify you before the bin arrives and we will need you to remove your car from the garage. We don’t want you blocked in!
- On a roofing job shingles and shakes are being torn off and nails are flying everywhere. We perform a final clean up of all areas around the house and wheel around a giant magnetic roller to pick up any metal scraps and nails. This will pick up the majority of metal and nails but not 100%. You may still find some after the job is complete. If you find about a coffee cup’s worth of nails, we’ll come back and perform another full sweep of your property.
- Sometimes we have material or garbage placed on the lawn (with a tarp). At the end of the job you may notice flattened or dead grass. We do our best to ensure this doesn’t happen, but sometimes it can be unavoidable.
- When we notify you to schedule a start date, please keep in mind it is dependent on weather. We aim to arrive at every job on the exact date it was scheduled but unfortunately we live in a humid climate (gotta love rainy Vancouver!) where snow and rain are abundant. We will start your project as soon as our schedule and the weather allows us.
- Our regular working hours are from 8am to 5pm but we sometimes work longer hours, starting from 7am and finishing at 8pm. If this doesn’t work for you, please let us know.
if you’re like us and like to prepare,
here are some questions we’ll be asking you before starting your project:
- Which shingle color would you like? Please choose from these colors only; Moire Black, Cinder Black, Black Walnut, Burnt Sienna, Resawn Shake, Georgetown Grey, Granite Grey, Hunter Green, Silver Birch (extra cost), Driftwood, Heather Blend, or Weathered Wood (view colours at https://www.certainteed.com/residential-roofing/products/landmark)
- Which metal color would you like? Black, Brown, White, Charcoal. (If no answer is added, we will choose the best color based on the house and membrane color).
- Where are the power outlets located on the outside of the home? If none are available, will you be able to provide power from inside the house during work hours?
- Are there any particular plants, trees, shrubs or flowers that you need specially protected?
- Our bin will need to be placed on your driveway, which side would be more suitable for you (if applicable)?
- We will need all patio furniture, planters, flower baskets etc. moved away from the house. Will you be able to do this or will you need our assistance?
- Do you prefer to be contacted by phone, text or email?
- Is there anything we missed which you’d like to go over or feel that we should be made aware of?